Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (iA)

AsSalamuAlaikum and AhlanWaSahlan... Welcome To My Head - My World...

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Being Grateful

Today at the hospital we had a patient who presented with dizziness, headache, vomiting and abdominal pain. Clinical examination did not reveal any significant findings. However, a couple more minutes of conversation with him led to a most likely diagnosis.
The 19 year old was working at a construction site. He had come here from his country only 1 month ago. He had come here with high hopes for his future and his family's future. He had taken loans from friends and relatives to get here. Now he has a fine job! Working under the sun for 8 hours a day. A detailed enquiry into his diet revealed the most unhealthy eating habit ever. He has biscuits for breakfast (thats around 6 am) and rice for lunch at 12 pm and the next meal is biscuits again at 6 am the next morning. He has 2 meals a day, one of which comprises of "biscuits"! And there is absolutely no dinner! When asked why it is so, his answer was simply - "That's all the company provides us with". He is being paid a measly salary which is barely enough for him to send home. So he cannot afford to buy any food himself. He lives in a labor camp with millions of other labor workers. They are like around 10 men stuffed into a little room with as many bunkbeds as they can squeeze into it.
This meal is simply not adequate for a man who does laborious work under the sun everyday for 8 hours. In fact, any human being even if he were leading a relatively sedentary lifestyle needs 3 regular meals a day.
This man misses home and family, does not get enough to eat everyday, and is unhappy with his life, his work, and his pay. He cannot leave and go back home because it has been only one month since he has come, he has a huge amount of debt to pay off when he gets back and he has a family - his mom and dad - who have built high hopes for their son, and who depend on him for survival. How can he break their hearts?
It would only be surprising if a man in a mental state such as his be fit and healthy.
After hearing about his situation, I felt devastated. And deeply sorry for him. It also made me realize how blessed I am for having 3 meals a day on my table. I feel blessed to be able to live with my family.

Alhamdulillah! I am very grateful to Allah for everything He has given me, for everything He has blessed me with. La Howla Wa La Quwwatha Billah (There is no Power and no Strength except with Allah)

And I pray that Allah gives us all the provision to ensure that we have food on our tables at least 3 times a day. I pray that Allah does not put us in a postion where we cannot afford food to survive. I pray that Allah keeps us close to and dear to our family, especially our parents. I pray that Allah eases our difficulties. I pray that Allah prevent us from falling into such disturbing and difficult places as this man. And I pray that Allah makes this mans' life better and more satisfying and so for anyone else in a position as his.
Ameen.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home